Relationships InCouraged – 5 – Dispel Discouragement
I can’t force someone to break through the darkness of discouragement, but I can reach out my hand and hope that he will take it. As long as I keep reaching, it gives him a little more of a fighting chance to dispel discouragement from his life.
1. Be accepting – I don’t need to know where you are right now, where you came from, or even where you are going – I just to accept you as you are without a requirement of explanations or excuses.
2. Be respectful – make a point to engage in purposeful listening and to not interrupt the concerns with a pre-determined answer.
3. Be comforting – I can relate to where you are or even empathize with your journey even without understanding it all. I just need to be willing to come along beside you and be there.
4. Be attentive – make an effort to show attention praise and affirmation, hugs or high fives, or other deliberate and positive actions.
5. Be approving – not necessarily of actions or behaviors but always approving of the person.
#GrowingHOPE understands a life INcouraged can give flight to impossible dreams – but I have to invest in encouragement to grow up that life.
First – I have to understand encouragement – because it is more than just cheerleading from the sideline (although it can include that).
Second – I have to become encouraged in my own journey – because I will always struggle to be an encouragement when I am haunted by discouragement myself.
Third – I have to develop a habit of sharing encouragement because it will never have a chance to work if it is never given away.
Fourth – I have to learn how to recognize discouragement in myself and in those around me. Sometimes the encouragement comes from that recognition.
Fifth – I have to utilize the tools for dispelling discouragement because there are ways I can help grow it away.
Visit the Growing HOPE website http://www.kathrynlang.com/
Get your #free PDF downloads of the eBooks by Kathryn Lang by visiting www.kathrynlang.com/ebooks
Invite Kathryn to speak at your next event. You can contact her by email or use the contact form on the website – www.kathrynlang.com/contact.
Background music for Growing HOPE ads, Review moment, and Scripture moment was created by Kevin McCleod at InCompetech – check out the wonderful music offered by InCompetech today.
Learn more about Christian Women Affiliate on the CWA website -http://christianwomenaffiliate.com/